Monday, January 19, 2015

Dallas to Los Angeles, Thursday Jan 15

On my drive from the hotel to the interview, I pass a visibly contrasting difference in socioeconomic status among the Dallas residents. In some neighborhoods, I pass parks, gun ranges, schools- things that let me know the local economy is thriving J In other neighborhoods, I pass lots full of possibly vacant trailers, run-down fast food joints, and bars on windows. I also notice a diverse array of racial and ethnic backgrounds. Dallas is starting to intrigue me a bit. Plus, that burrito last night was really good, and burrito quality will be an important part of my decision-making process when it comes time to rank these places.  

Dallas skyline from a distance
The 8-hour interview in Dallas goes really well. What is with these Southern sites?!?! I swear the people are trying to lure to the Bible Belt, and they are succeeding. Southern hospitality is real, I will say that. I appreciate the chivalry (and the gas prices- $1.7!) that exists in this part of the country. I also recognize that if I looked different, I might not be received so openly.

I make it to the airport just in time to hop a plane back to LA, and arrive around 7pm. Kristen and her fiancĂ© Mark are awake this time, and welcome me with warm brownies and a glass of red wine. I really do have amazing friends. We catch up on life (I haven’t seen Kristen in several years, and have never met Mark), and it feels amazing to sit on a couch with my feet up and visit with old friends. If there is one positive thing about this wild process, it’s been getting to visit and catch up with old friends all over the country. I’m sure there are more positive aspects, but I’m too tired to think of them all at that moment- and I’m too busy enjoying the brownie.


No comments:

Post a Comment